Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Making Mushrooms


Today I made mushrooms. I'm not sure if it's a worthy pursuit or not...but I did enjoy making them.

Yet again, I found that I needed to make the mushroom components first before I could figure out where they might be placed on the block...then I can place the ferns...and the moss...and the fiddlehead curly-Qs...

So I painted that beautiful velvet that I got from Chris at the Shady Grove...


And then I sewed the velvet to the felt in little mushroom top shapes...and made spots with french knots.


I cut strips from an old felted ivory sweater to make the stems.


Now they are ready to be placed on my block.

There are mushrooms all over Tim Burton's movie...and many of them are psychedelic colors of pink and purple and gold and blue...


But I wondered from where did the inspiration come for these fabulous fungi?

I found these pictures of fly agaric mushrooms on Flickr...and many of them look just like this...[They really are beautiful to behold so you should check it out...]

Photo courtesy of Johnson Cameraface on Flickr

Evidently they are highly toxic and found in Central Europe. They were mixed in milk and set out in a saucer to attract flies...the flies drank the liquid and it killed them...hence the name, fly agaric. Too cool.

So this is the mushroom that inspires all of those red mushrooms with white spots that we see everywhere. Who knew?

See you next time with fiddlehead ferns and foliage...

21 comments:

Catherine said...

I live in the mushroom capital, but I like yours much better!

Front Range Stitcher said...

I love your shrooms. So velvety with a little bit of sparkly. They'll fit in perfectly.

Rachel said...

I'm really enjoying watching this block develop. The mushrooms are great!

Anonymous said...

beautifull!!!
françoise

Unknown said...

Don't touch any beautiful, unblemished mushroom, except yours, Susan. It's probably that way because it's poisonous and insects don't eat on it. Same true of the death angel mushroom.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I had no idea there are real mushrooms that look just like the ones that lined the wall above my kitchen cabinets back in the
70's. Ah, the era of owls, mushrooms and Gracie Slick....go ask Alice.
xx, Carol

Loralynn said...

I absolutely love your mushrooms! Very nicely done!

Maureen said...

Beautiful! How tiny these must be! Don't forget the rocking horse with wings. :) Just kidding, but that's the one thing that popped into my head when I saw your mushrooms this morning.

Sheila Iskin said...

Wow! I had no idea! It's fun following an idea to some random fact, isn't it? It puts a whole new spin on those marzipan Buche du Noel additions. Your mushrooms are really turning out great! It does make one want to touch them though, all that soft velvety nap and the bumpy french knots. Looks like you're having a lot fun, Susan! It's really fun to see your project progress.

Anonymous said...

I have a thing for mushrooms and indeed toadstools - there is something magical about them and yours are no exception. They must feel wonderful too - quite delightful.

Same name as the last time *wink*
Shell xx

Vicky aka Stichr said...

even the fungi has fungi growing on it, cuz those white spots sure ain't dandruff...

allie aller said...

Well at least this post wasn't entitled "Taking Mushrooms" which sometimes I think Tim Burton must do!

This is all going to pull together so magically. I love seeing how you construct all your components...

MeganH said...

Your mushroooms are magic! They look lovely!

Dees said...

Lovely mushrooms... and I can confirm that the "fly..."mushroom grows in central Europe! We see them everywhere in the forests in fall, but they seldomly look as pretty and bright as the one in your picture.
They are toxic only when consumed in large quantities, there are and have been people who consume them to get high... But with just a tad to much you will get very, very sick.
We have a very cute little childrens-song about it too!
So take care with the mushrooms (toadstools in Dutch) and don't overdo!

Judy S. said...

You are making such fabulous progress, Susan. It's still crazy here....but crazy fun. They've been married almost one week and are off to Italy. All the guests are gone except the GK and family and my sister. We've been very busyl.

Elizabeth said...

These are beyond adorable!! I ahve always loved these little european shrooms and one sees them so often in German folk art- scandinavian art as well. You are just amazing how you create such perfect tiny things!! Will you be my mother???? I would love to grow up with you!!!!

tongfengdemao said...

Beautiful mushrooms. As pretty or prettier than the real ones (and just as inedible, but not poison).

Wanda said...

Definitely a worthy pursuit. Definitely very whimsical, full of fantasy and wonder. I like them alot!

Lisa Boni said...

The mushrooms are FABULOUS! You could build an entire block around mushrooms like those! Love the fern leaves you came up with too!

Robin said...

How bizaar! Just the other day, my husband said, "Come look at this!" It was an agaric mushroom, only not with a bright red cap. It was the variety with a brown cap. I'd never seen one before and it's five feet from our house. Your mushrooms are even cuter... MUCH cuter... I can't wait to see how you place them.

Robin A.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Nostalgia. My very first needlepoint design on canvas was three mushrooms.(followed closely by an owl) They were very "BIG" as a trend back in 1969. I wish I still had the book I worked from - fantastic! Yours look great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails